Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Jobs Anyone or Babysitting?

So life has handed us a lot of interesting cards in the last few years. Unexpected deaths, sudden changes in career paths, disappointment in many forms.... all surrounded by a really happy marriage and wonderful little girls to make it all ok. However, things are hard for me as I am not able to stay home with my children as much as I would like. With my two degrees, you would think this wouldn't be a problem but if I were to go back to teaching full time then I would pay more for day care then I would be making. It just isn't cost efficient. Also, the commitment is hard for that. As any teacher would tell you, it is really hard to find a sub and any time your kids are sick or anything goes on, it is almost impossible to get out of work. It is hard for me to commit to that again with little kids at home. So what do I do? I work a lot of small teaching jobs and use my other degree - music and dance - to help out and I can usually take the girls with me. Then work part time at night at Prosper so that Matt can take the girls. Well that has recently changed because he has had to help out at his dad's business so that they can stay afloat while his dad is focusing on his health. So now we are looking for babysitters at night as well. I am considering taking on more hours at my night job to help compensate as well but that would mean that I need someone to watch my kids even more. Like from 2 or 3 in the afternoon until 5:30 until Matt can come and pick them up and take them to another babysitter or until about 9pm when Matt could come and pick them up to take them home to bed. What a crazy life it is right now for us! The only reason why I talk about this at all is because I have learned that I am surrounded by very creative and intelligent people who often have wonderful solutions or at least very encouraging words that keep me going for a little bit longer. The more I talk things out with my friends and family, the more I see a pathway. So if anyone has a wonderful epiphany while reading this please let me know. There are a lot of things that could happen that might change our lovely situation but it is always a waiting game. The Airforce might actually step up and offer Matt the position he deserves and has earned, He might find a better civilian job in his job search, I might get a flood of new vocal students and be able to drop the night job, who knows....anything would be a nice change. Heaven knows we are ready for one. Sorry to vent and pour my heart out to all of you but I am feeling like that is what this blog is for sometimes. I really thought that both of us finishing college and doing exactly what we were supposed to do would put us in a different position at 29. But the more I talk to people, the more I realize how many of our lives have taken many turns along the path. I am glad I am not alone.

4 comments:

Danielle and Fam said...

It's hard for me to hear about your struggles right now. It sounds super similar to the last 2 years in my life.I know how crazy life can get and I would take your kids if I lived nearby. I don't know if they would like coming to BOY LAND, but I would do it in a heart beat. Things will get better, they always do. If I've learned anything it's to drop all of my concerns and turn them over to the ONLY person who truly knows me and has my best interest in mind. I'll keep thinking to see if I can come up with any good resolutions.
PS I didn't know you worked at Prosper. Did you ever know my sister in law Natalie??

The Adamson Chipmunks said...

I am so sorry for your struggles. You are such good people, it just does not seem fair!

You KNOW that you can always drop your kids off to me anytime. Especially between 2 and 5:30 PM (that is Kale's naptime so I am always home!). Alyssa and Tori would very much welcome it--so stop stressing and just run them next door (every day if necessary)no driving required!

I can even help out with some nighttimes as well (except when I run away to the theater--then my mom will take over :))!

Also, I think you should let me make your family dinner during the week-- you buy your share of the groceries, and I cook for both families. I am cooking anyway, I will just double it!! Think it over!

Other than that I am afraid I have no other solutions. You will definatley be in my prayers!

Sarie said...

I wish I could help more! If I still lived there, you could drop the girls at my place, my girls and I would love it! I've totally been there (kind of still am), so know that I"m thinking of you!!!

Moody Family said...

If you run into situations, I know they don't know us, but we are here if you need a sitter :) Just give a heads up:)