Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Father's Day

So Father's Day has become and interesting holiday for me. Having lost my dad almost four years ago, it makes it a little hard to celebrate. My Grandpa Read has always been a huge presence in my life and when my dad passed away I still had a great father figure in Grandpa. Then he passed away two years ago. I hope that this doesn't turn into a sad post for people. I really just want to share my feelings right now....mostly for my own sake. I miss my dad on this holiday and I also miss my grandpa. I miss the presence of a man who will just fix it for me and tell me that it is all ok. Sometimes I really don't feel strong enough to be the adult and handle all of life's challenges. I am so grateful to have my mom and my in laws and the other people around me that support and love me. I am blessed with a lot of friends and wonderful family. It is still hard to fill the whole that these two men have left behind.





My Grandpa is my hero and I with forever be grateful for him and the mark that he has left on my life. I am glad that I had the relationship that I did with him. I was lucky enough to live 3 houses from him my whole life and there was rarely a day that went by without a visit to or from grandpa. He also had a deep love for all of his family. He wanted us all to be happy and taken care of and he worked very hard to try to help us all out in any way he could. There have been many times in our family's life when we were helped out and grandpa was behind it. He was a very hard worker and he always tried to help out the little man. I can't tell you how many people still tell me that the only reason why they were able to afford an engagement ring or watch for their husband was because my grandpa helped them out through his jewelry store. I hope that I grow up to be like him in this way. He had some roughness to him that was actually very endearing to most people. I still laugh a lot at the stories I hear and remember. He was quite a character for sure! I miss all of these things and many more that are too long to write. Thank you for your life and for the influence it has had on mine grandpa!





Things I miss today:
I miss my dad's humor and the way he could make a ride in the car fun. I miss his love for music and the random phone calls I used to get about a new song or band that he had discovered that I must listen too. He loved how I would get excited with him about things like that. I also miss his huge head sticking out above any crowd. He was 6'7'' and very easy to find in a crowd, especially with his dark hair. I also miss one of my biggest fans. It didn't seem to matter what I did, he was at the performance, usually standing in the back and cheering the loudest. I miss the big hugs he would give and the reassurance it gave me to sleep at night. I miss the ability to call him no matter what time and he would drop everything and run to the rescue. I miss how he would have loved my children and the joy he would have found in them. He would have got a kick out of everything they are doing and would have loved that Elleigh knows who the Beatles are at age 5. He would have loved Sophie's little sense of humor. I just miss my big friendly dad on this holiday and I really hope that he has found peace.

Today I am so grateful for my husband and the wonderful father that he is. He takes care of me and is such a wonderful person for my girls to trust in. I am grateful that I have been given him to share this life with.



I am also grateful for my Heavenly Father. I always have the support and love I need from him and I know that I am not alone.

5 comments:

Jennikunz said...

I love you Brit!

Danielle and Fam said...

I need to appreciate everyone a little more! This was a great post!

The Adamson Chipmunks said...

A very beautiful post, Brittany. Thank you very much for sharing.

lenalou said...

Thanks for sharing this about your Grandpa and your dad. I'm sure they must have been (and are) so proud of you and your wonderful family.

maren out my laundry said...

what a beautiful post Brittany! thank you for sharing this! it helps you realize how lucky we are to have the men in our lives we do!